Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Some fun Challenges...well, they're all fun!!

Scrap in Style has just opened up a brand new boutique with really cool things that aren't always found in your typical scrapbooking store. And they are celebrating by having their fashionistas give challenges every week this month. These are so much fun!!!! Oh, it's icing on the cake if they pick your layout, but it's kind of like doing those word puzzles...keeps your brain thinking and being active...so much fun.

Did this originally for one of the Scrap, etc.'s Inspiration Team's challenge to do a layout of what you see everyday. But this was also a good fit for one of the Fashionista's challenges. This was inspired by Heidi Swapp.




Virginia from the Inspiration Team on Scrap, etc. challenged us to do a layout with no color, could use creams and soft colors. I had done this for my May calendar Layout in Heidi's class and it just fit. They draw names and Virginia had her little girl pull the names...she is sooo cute!!! And she picked my name...I am not a lucky person...so this was just icing on the cake for me. She sent me the most beautiful card and Autumn Leaves stamps...LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!!!


Gretchen McElveen, who is on the Inspiration Team at Scrap, etc. and is also a Fashionista on Scrap in Style did this challenge...to use 10 photos on your layout. Very Heidi Swapp inspired from our February art challenge...but I went around the lakefront area, my neighborhood and yard to take pictures I had been dying to do...that fence in particular, the run down rusty one...really caught my eye...so wanted to practice my photography skills. So when this challenge came up...this was perfect for me. This is one of my favorites...I think because of the photos.



This was a challenge from Gigi one of the Fashionistas...she is a very sweet person. I loved her challenge to use lyrics from a song for your layout. This Tarzan song "You'll be in my Heart" from Phil Collins really struck both me and Dennis when we had re-watched Tarzan about two years ago and heard this song...really made me think of Emma. Great soundtrack too...some of my favorite work of Phil Collins. I used some of the stash I've been collecting for Emma's Lifestory book...so this is now already in her book for her. Love the panda bear looking in the mirror...represents our differences.


Jo-Anne's challenge. She is a clever little thing. She wrote a rhyme and did not share her layout, but instead wanted us to use her rhyme and come up with our own interpretation...really getting the brain working. This was her rhyme: “I sparkle with hints of magic, I dream in pink but it never makes me blush... Do you see my true color or do you mask me behind a veil? Try not to take me at face value, remember the true elements you see that make me, ME... Wrap me up and keep me safe and warm, don’t make assumptions and never try to stifle my imagination….As that might lead you along the wrong path”
So I interpreted this as don't judge me by what you see, don't put me in a box, let me be me and accept and love me for who I am. Of course, I couldn't help but think fairytale, gold, glimmer. So I used the Once Upon a Time DCWV paper, tattered angels glimmer mist is all over this thing (did back it with cardboard because of that), even the photo has glimmer mist, and I really scratched up the photo, just felt like it went with the mood of the rhyme for me. Made everything sparkly or golden, except for "Me" cause I'm just plain ole ME. Also embossed about 7 damask stamp images on the right side...so it's got a lot of magical, fairytale kind of feel for me.

This was my first layout for Gigi's challenge to use song lyrics in your layout. So many things to get down on paper and these layouts for Emma were swirling around for awhile. I found this gorgeous photo from Nabha Cosley...he is professional photography from Flickr and was honored that I use his photo. Out of all the angel photos on Flickr, his just really caught my attention. So I used that as the background for the lyrics to Third Day's Merry Christmas song about a little girl in an orphanage in China. I really kept it simple with just a little drying white painting around the edges, some photo corners, and that's it. I did use a whitewash technique from Tena Sprenger. I mixed just a little bit of water with white paint, and went over another Christmasy type paper and used that to cut out the letters and the photo corners...love that look. Gigi was so touched by this, sent me a very sweet email. She also picked me as the winner for her challenge!!! This is a first for me, so I was really shocked and emotional all over again. It really was icing on the cake to be picked by her...



I had never heard of the The Dares ...really want to get their book now. It's a group of girls from Scrap in Style that started these challenges daring you to scrap about all kinds of things. They have a round of challenges and challengers that have made it to the next round of their latest competitions on their site...but Scrap in Style had one challenge from them for the celebration and it was to use the word Fierce on a layout...what does it mean to you, what do you think...whatever it is...just scrap it. I had taken these photos earlier of my dad's Desert Rose Succulent. Moving this thing, repotting it...just even accidentally touching is wicked and he used to have an entire greenhouse full of stuff like this. The spikes are about 2 inches long. I was out of my league to even do this challenge, but it was fun and I went for it and did this.


Another cool challenge from Fashionista, Andrea Wiebe, wanted us to use fall colors for a layout, and to add a touch of lace to it...also has to have the word October somewhere. I used Heidi Swapp masks, and purple cardstock and spray painted the paper to make the look of leaves and the branch. I will never forget our trip to New Hampshire...that is on my list of places to visit again...I was blown away by the foliage!!! This picture is nothing compared to what we saw.

Lisa Garay, another Fashionista wanted us to use bright colors for a layout. I happened to see this felt ribbon at Hobby Lobby and the feathers and had no idea what I was going to use them for, but they were on sale and I liked them, so brought them home. Also found more clay on sale at Gordon's... Didn't plan on it, but it came together for this layout for her challenge. Did some sewing machine stitching around some of the pictures and the felt ribbon, used a variation of the blanket stitch using DMC embroidery floss around the layout...it needed a little pop...and stamped one of Rhonna Farrer's bird stamps into the clay and put the feathers behind it. Made the clay buttons too. He is such a little king...little Archie. The journaling reads: I love birds, lizards, and frogs I love routine in my life I love to aggravate Daisy I love quiet places I love mama, but daddy, not so much Really almost trashed this when it wasn't coming together...but now I look at it and think kitty kat camp or something...just playful. Oh and the title: I solemnly swear that I am up to no good...guess where that is from???? Oh, how I love Harry Potter!!!!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Those are great layouts! I wanted to let you know that I featured your pillows on my site today. I hope it gives you some added exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all turned out amazing. I featured your cute blocks on my site today and gave you an award. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!