Tuesday, May 08, 2012

New Orleans Half Marathon Project and Teacher Appreciation

Hope everyone had a great weekend and especially for National Scrapbooking Day...this is what I did...

Every year that Dennis does the New Orleans Half Marathon, I make a layout with his photos and medal.  I use an inexpensive metal scrapbooking frame from Michael's to put it in so he can hang it up along with the others.
 That medal is not the easiest to work with.  The colors are not my favorite and it is very heavy.  But I pulled soft colors first and then colors that went with what Dennis was wearing...then started pulling in the greens and the magenta from the Hambly overlays to go with the colors...
 I used the Studio Calico City of Lights kit paper as the background and mat for the photos.  The rest is Hambly overlays, American Crafts Sketchbook and Dear Lizzy, Prima, Studio Calico, and Crate Paper stickers, My Mind's Eye buttons, banners, brads, and bling, Studio Calico wood veneer arrows and journaling arrow, Jenni Bowlin cream flower and ruler paper cut from a stencil paper, Ormolu fabric tag, Washi tape from American Crafts and Target.
 And this is what I always do to get the medal to stay.  I use DMC embroidery floss and stitch it in place (wire would probably work too, but a little harder to work with and the medal is also very awkward to work with), piercing holes on either side of the beads.  It is crooked...I was having to share my piercer with chickadee, but it makes it look a little more natural, maybe ;)  Anyway...I don't put glue on his medals in case he would ever want to get them out.
And chickadee was so excited, dancing, wiggling and beaming to give her teacher's their Teacher Appreciation gifts!  I found some really fun bracelets at Belks to put inside these boxes I made with the Silhouette.  and she was very excited too that they are wearing them all day!  So thank you to all teachers for shaping minds and personalities!
The papers are mostly My Mind's Eye, the jar stamp is American Crafts Dear Lizzy, and I did use some vellum, chipboard, and letters from Dear Lizzy.

Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. oooh a subject near and dear to my heart!!! which gives me an idea!!! it would be so fun to come and run RnR 1/2 in New Orleans!!! a good goal anyway! LOL!!! ; .P

    I know I got the deets this past weekend, but I love to see the finished product!!! (And Dennis is FAST!!! whoooo!)

    cute boxes too! thanks for the inspo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice!!!
    A beautiful memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love how you incorporated the medal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so pretty and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful layout!! <3 it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great projects! and that medal is super super super cool...love that it made green the focus color :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an impressive lo. Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is pretty cool...love the necklace with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these are fantastic! I love the shadow box frame. I recently did the Color Run and I'm trying to figure out how to preserve my tshirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so gorgeous! Love the way you add the medal! You're so talented my friend♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to your hubby for doing a 1/2 marathon every year! My husband has done them and a couple of marathons, as my twin sister. I tried running - did a couple of 5-k's but just couldn't get into it! I wish I could!!!!! Your layout is awsome, Patricia, and so is your cute teacher appreciation box!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!