Sunday, May 13, 2012

Step Out of Your Comfort Zone - Get Messy with Gauche Alchemy and Paper Issues

I know it is hard for some people to step out of their comfort zone, but for me, when it comes to creating, I like to step away from traditional scrapbooking from time to time, get messy, and just create.

Paper Issues and Gauche Alchemy are collaborating for the next theme May 13-26.

Here is what I created - I used a 15x11 canvas.  I had used it before, ripped off all of the old papers, and re-used it.  It even had a little leftover teal paint, which I left as is.

Using my Gauche Alchemy old vintage papers, I started layering them on top and around the sides using Inkssentials Glue n' seal.  You could use Mod Podge or Gel medium.  
In addition to the Gauche Alchemy goodies I received, here are the other supplies I used to create the canvas.
After letting the glue dry, I watered down some Gesso...I didn't want to completely cover up the old papers.  After that dried, I watered down some of the mists, then using a straw, I blew the drops across the canvas.
I didn't get a picture of that step by itself, so here is what it looks like on a piece of cardstock.  Have to give credit where credit is due...this was a technique I had seen Amy Tangerine do and it is my most favorite, and one I will do a lot of.
You can see it a little here on the canvas as well as my next step.  I used a Julie Balzer's Crafter's Workshop Pomegranate stencil with the pink paint.  My focus on the canvas was going to be the white corrugated cardboard, so I didn't want anything too bright, instead, I wanted a subtle look of textures...so I used another layer of watered down gesso over the entire piece after this.
Next, I started cutting up more of the papers...like this vintage ad...loved the '70's green towel the model was wearing, so cut tiny leaves and adhered with the glue n' seal to create a lot of motion on the canvas.
Then I watered down some paint and did some random stamping...I wasn't concerned that the stamps came out too watery...it was the look I wanted.
I really liked this little leaf stamp from a Studio Calico stamp set.  I didn't water this paint down, so I went over the dried paint with watered down gesso to soften it...still going for a neutral, but lots of texture look.
Here is how it is looking...the tiny hand cut leaves, more watered down gesso...I hand cut the white corrugated cardboard into the flowers, cut little clippings of the brown multi-colored yarn that my package was wrapped in (which by the way was so gorgeous).  I added the beads and sequins to the centers of the flowers, and then used the fibers to connect the flowers, all from Gauche Alchemy as well.  I let the different layers of glue and gesso dry before moving on (I did not use glue n' seal on top of the yarn or fibers).  I added little extra touches of paint around the flowers and leaves.
So I am loving the softness of the piece, as well as the texture.  It is reminding me of the beautiful Asian artwork you've seen.  So with my Silhouette, I cut out the Chinese characters for "Peace."  I wanted just a little more texture, so I cut the hexagons with the Silhouette with scrapbook paper, and also added the Pink Paislee chipboard hexagons.  Using more glue n' seal to adhere everything, letting it dry, then going over with more watered down gesso.  I even went around the Chinese characters and chipboard hexagons with gesso to cover up the black pen I had outlined in with first, but didn't like...it wasn't the look I wanted.
And here is the finished canvas.  I love that you can see the vintage papers in the background as well as the mists, painted stencil, stamping...lots of color, but not too intense...soft...  I did go back and add some white gesso to the white corrugated cardboard to make it a little more white.
Would love to see your "messy - out of your comfort zone" project. You can link your projects up at Paper Issues. Leave me a comment here as well, so I can be sure to not miss it...
In addition to linking up, Paper Issues is having a blog hop and giving away some Gauche Alchemy goodies. To be eligible to win: be a follower of my blog, be a follower on the Paper Issues Blog, and "Like" Paper issues on Facebook.

Here is the Blog Hop for more inspiration and amazing creations:
Patricia R. =YOU ARE HERE=
Chrissy (Gauche Alchemy co-owner)
The winner will be announced in two weeks, May 27th, on the Paper Issues blog.
Also be sure to join the Gauche Alchemy Flickr Group. Lots of inspiration and a great place to share your art. By joining Gauche's Flickr group, you can use this coupon PAPERISSUES2012 to get a 30% discount (excluding kit subscriptions) in their shop for the duration of the theme (May 13-May 26).
If you are still looking for more shopping to do ;) ...please visit the Paper Issues store and use coupon PATRICIA for a 20% discount.

Pin It!

23 comments:

  1. OMG. This is GORGEOUS!! Simply stunning! I mean, WOW! I love all of the techniques and textures. I never thought to make flowers using the Ouchless Cardboard. BRILLIANT! Thank you so much for playing along and I'm really glad you liked your kit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW such a gorgeous canvas!! LOVE those flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, Patricia. This is STUNNING! I've been stalking Gauche Alchemy's store, I love their products. So much inspiration in your piece, I don't even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my WORD. Wow. Yowzers. Unbelievably AWESOME and out of sight! Sigh. I wish I were that talented. LOVE THIS. Amazing. I want to come spend an afternoon with you and take an art canvas lesson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic, Patricia!! I really love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia! WOW!!!! Everything you create is just magical - you are sooooo amazing! Thank you for sharing your talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is FABULOUS patricia - WOW - love the step-by-step too.
    Your blog is looking great as well - awesome job!
    Lowri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Love your stamping and the cardboard flowers are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a gorgeous piece of artwork. Loved seeing your process. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Patricia this is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patricia you rock! This canvas is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow!! The layers on this are just fabulous, Patricia! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool. I've never done anything like this, I think I'd have to work up some serious courage to get so 'messy', lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My this is just stunning! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous! Will do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You are amazing! Are you sure this is outside your comfort zone??? Stunning! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an AMAZING canvas!!! Love all the details it just made everything perfect. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW...this is fabulous work!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH.MY.WOW! This is amazing, Patricia...you may have stepped out of your comfort zone, but you wouldn't know it by looking at this gorgeous piece of artwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dude, that's crazy cool! You should step out of your comfort zone a little more often. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did an amazing job getting out of your comfort zone! I absolutely LOVE this canvas so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Pat... Thank you so much for dropping by my blog... AUUW... I'm really touch you like my work...once again thank you!... I am your new follower too...I absolutely adore this canvas...its beautiful... and amazingly artsy!!! Love the technique too...TFS... hugs..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. absolutely STUNNING !!!!! I love that you showed the step by step progress of your canvas. Amazing results.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!