Friday, June 08, 2012

October Afternoon 9 to 5 and My Mind's Eye Challenges

I challenged myself a little too much with these very tricky photos from our Chinese New Year celebration this past January.  Can you believe I scrapped this with October Afternoon 9 to 5?  Thanks to Amy Heller's Through the Kaleidoscope Class, which I HIGHLY recommend (even if you think you know everything about the color wheel (I thought I did)!  Okay...back to layout...so I focused not just on the colors, but on the cultural influence in making this layout...so that meant getting very very creative with supplies from the 9 to 5 collection...like rolling the paper to make Chinese firecrackers...cutting along the lines of the design of pattern paper, using the Silhouette...and a secret...that background was re-done about 3 times...if you look closely you can tell...but I finally just sprayed closer to the paper, and loved the intensity of that yellow!
I even used a smidge of October Afternoon's Sasparilla line there under the main photo...those swirls look like waves and have an Asian culture influence.  Themes and using primary colors are tough for me...but this ended up being a favorite of mine.

Here's the sketch I used...I used it loosely as a start to mine...October Afternoon 9 to 5 Sketch Challenge

And loving My Mind's Eye's collections...these colors are some of my favorites...So when I saw this My Mind's Eye Fussy Cutting Challenge, I dug into my new stash and started cutting...had absolutely no idea where it was going, I just had fun...I did pick these photos of Emma sewing for the first time, that was the start.

Then starting cutting anything I liked from the 6x6 pads of the Indie Chic in both Saffron and Ginger.  Used some of the new My Mind's Eye has tape...and it is some of my favorite!  Everything is My Mind's Eye, except the background paper is Echo Park, big woodgrain letters are October Afternoon's Sasparilla, the round orange are Authentique, the peach letters are from American Crafts Dear Lizzy.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. yep, I would have put that particular photo as the focal point too!!!
    : .P

    you did a fantastic job of conveying the cultural essence with these pprs, even tho' they had no Asian flair! and how clever to make your own firecrackers! awesome!

    happy friday, P!!! do have a good day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both SO great! Love that yellow on the first one, and all the detail, wow. And the softness of that second one is so sweet. Have a great weekend Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The MME layout is beautiful! The Chinese New Year layout is really amazing, Patricia! You have to submit that one- it needs to be in a magazine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are soooo beautiful!! Oh my goodness, the second page is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful beautiful Beautiful!!! Patricia you are rocking! I love those rolled up firecrackers!!! And all the beautiful pink layering on the second one is just awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW! Those are both gorgeous!
    And I love all the details on your Chinese New Year layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pages are gorgeous. I love them both! Such incredible color work too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are both absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are fabulous... love the use of color! But that pink, orange and brown l/o just jumps out! Your darling daughter is just too cute for words :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that sketch and you used it so well. Both layouts are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great layouts!! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phenomenal pages!
    I do love the vibrancy of that yellow! Such a striking page.
    And that MME fussy cutting challenge page is darling! You really did a fantastic job with both :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phenomenal pages!
    I do love the vibrancy of that yellow! Such a striking page.
    And that MME fussy cutting challenge page is darling! You really did a fantastic job with both :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your pages!! What pretty colors and your embellishing is great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both of these are amazing and that first one is jaw dropping! I would have never guessed that was OA 9 to 5. It is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. good grief, FANTASTIC pages sweet patricia, love the asian flair from 9 to 5? get outta here, wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow amazing layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your layouts and I just became a follower to your blog!!! It's great!!! If you have a chance I would love you to take a peek at mine!!!!
    catscrapcreations.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both your pages are amazing!! I just LOVE the fussy cutting on the second one. Must try it myself one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!