Sunday, July 15, 2012

Wire and Washi Tape

After making this patriotic wreath using wire and washi tape, I had more ideas.  I thought about flowers, maybe another layout or project, but I decided on balloons in celebrating me turning...ahem...45!  Can you spot all the washi tape on this layout?
Making wire and washi tape balloons:
Step 1:  I picked the photo and a few papers...next I made loops with 24 gauge wire.
Step 2: I started with this stripe washi tape, but you can see I changed my mind.  I started wrapping the tape around the wire, but then since the tape is so transparent, I didn't like how it looked from the other side.
 Step 2:  Re-done...I matched on both sides so it looked the same on the front and back...
 Step 3:  Cut close to the wire trimming the tape.
 This is what it looked like but I still wasn't sure where this layout was going...
 Here I decided the red hearts looked best, but wasn't sure of the placement or how to attach the balloons.  I didn't get a picture...but Step 3:  is use the Tim Holtz or wire cutters (for better results-learned from experience) to trim the wire as close to the bottom of balloon as you can.
 Step 4:  I decided to tie some twine around the very bottom of the balloons...now onto the next...

I used two different colors/patterns of washi tape and adhered to a piece of cardstock...sent it through the Silhouette to out the "45."  I was starting to like the balloons along the bottom, so I took these lollipop sticks, you could use a small dowel/wood stick or even a bamboo stick (Tim Holtz scissors will cut those down for you just fine) and wrapped washi around that.
I used foam adhesive to adhere the balloons and used Zip Dry glue to adhere the "45" to the sticks and then to the page. 
So how many washi tapes did I use?  7...here they are...all from Freckled Fawn.
If you love washi tape too, Paper Issues is having a washi theme this week sponsored by Freckled Fawn!



Head over to Paper Issues for more details of how to win this $25 gift card!

Here is the list of blogs for the blog hop for some amazing and inspiring projects:

2. Patricia <= YOU ARE HERE
3. Audrey
4. Missy
5. Amy B

I'm not the only one in this family to love washi tape...while I was brainstorming and playing...my daughter made a washi ring (I tried not to cry and just capture this to hopefully laugh about one day)

Pin It!

38 comments:

  1. I love the balloons - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome use of the washi tape and a fantastic layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. washi balloons...what?! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute idea with the ballons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. get.out. This is FANTASTIC! you are so talented, Patricia! Love how you've thought out of the box with the washi :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your mini photo tutorial! Hmmmmmm, kid's band aids how cool is that? New follower as well so...
    TFS, hope you can stop by and say HI!
    Creative Wishes,
    Claire S.
    www.scrapmyway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is sooo awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good idea! Thank for the giveaway!! Your layout is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute layout and love those balloons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome tutorial, Patricia! I just love the balloons and the page is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful layout! I love your creative way of making the balloons out of washi and wire! As for the washi ring, I feel your pain. While working on my project, I discovered that my little one wrapped half a roll of my washi around a vase! Help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a cute idea!!!
    And I never would have guessed you are 45 :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome layout Patricia, and fantastic ideas for using washi tape!!! Love that 45! and Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You seriously boggle my mind! Until I saw this, I thought there was nothing new out there and that we all just kept reinventing the wheel. Well, you proved me wrong, my friend! What else are you working on in that creative brain of yours???

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fun page - love your washi tape balloons - very creative

    ReplyDelete
  16. So clever Patricia!! I love those balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the balloon! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a creative way to use washi tape!! FUN!!!! Great LO:)

    And that ring is FAB!!! LOVE it:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful family and LO!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. total awesomeness!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Darling. A wonderful original idea. Love your use of washi. Great layout too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing layout! I love the washi balloons!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely card but i just loved the balloons....washi balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wait. 45? What?! Sheesh, I didn't look as young as you do when I was 25! LOL

    Your washi balloons just made my head explode, how incredibly amazing!! Love this fantastic layout.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great layout! I thought that you were about 35! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great layout! I thought that you were about 35! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks for the tip!! wow. i've never thought of washi balloons (or ring! hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely idea ! It looks fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love, love, love the ballons - what a fun way to use washi tape! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cute idea to make balloons! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  32. love the balloons! thanks for sharing. your daughter's ring is adorable! (ps my duaghter would do the exact same thing if i let her. lol )

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is so great. I love the way you use color in all your pages, cards and PL. Super gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cute, great idea, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the balloons - and they added just the right touch to the beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the balloons - and they added just the right touch to the beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Birthday! and I loved the numbers covered with washi!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!