Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Altered Canvas - Gauche Alchemy Guest Designer

(Thank you so much for the comments about Emma.  The doctor did feel the symptoms were strange and very sudden.  She is fine now, and could have been a virus, no way to know.  But the doctor recommended we go to a peds cardiologist to have her checked for possibly having VTS - Supraventricular Tachycardia - kids can grow out of it and it is not serious.  Emma knows to let us know if her heartbeat is fast again so we can count it and see how fast.  She gave us quite a scare, but she is herself and no problems.)

This is my last project I made as guest designer over at Gauche Alchemy
I had to use that awesome vintage metal film canister some way.  Ever since I got the kit, I would go to sleep, thinking how was I going to use it.  What did I want to do?  Decisions.
My first attempt, was to use a utility knife to cut a circle from it.  It was too thick.  Still not sure what I wanted to do, but decided to paint it with some Martha Stewart pearl paint.  Love that stuff.  Then I thought, I could have the top and bottom like a movie projector on a canvas.  But didn’t feel like I could pull that off and didn’t have a big enough canvas.
Still not sure how I was going to use the canister, I went ahead and started adding texture to a canvas by gluing down ripped pieces of vintage paper, the lace, photo corners, a tag from my stash, some of the mesh wire, negative photo ribbon all down on a small 8x8 canvas with gesso.  Pulled out an old credit card and old cardboard circles from packaging to “stamp” into the gesso to create more texture. 

Once it was dry, I pulled out some gelatos.  I am hooked on the ombre effect (the graduation of colors from light to dark), and I love blue.  So using a water brush, I spread the gelatos across the canvas.

Now where to go?  I really liked the metallic shiny look of the vintage canister against the blue.  This is where that internal dialogue started to tell me, no that doesn’t look good silly...do something else.  But that shiny metallic canister and blue were so pretty together.  I felt like to pull it off with the canister on top of the canvas, I needed some kind of repetition to ground it and make it look like it was supposed to be on the canvas.  So I grabbed a circular stamp (since the canister is a circle, it was the perfect design, and I love circles) and stamped several times on some of the vintage papers, cut them out and adhered them.  


I love the whimsical look of wire on projects, it is one of my favorite things to play with.  Then I had the idea of using the negative photo ribbon to loop around the canister.  The Crop-A-Dile was able to punch a hole on the side of the canister, so now I new I was in business to alter it more.  I kept punching holes around it.  


Added a few other details, the cut out flowers, button twine...glued it all down using Zip Dry.



Thank you again, Gauche Alchemy, for having me guest.  I enjoyed working with this kit so much.

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. This is so cool! Love your techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How completely cool!!
    And so glad Emma is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! This piece is AMAZING Patricia!! What a GREAT idea! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super eye catching !!!! Laahoove GA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is super cool! & i'm so thankful to hear Emma's feeling OK now too {{BIG HUGS!!}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, this is SO clever and cool! SO clever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!