Thursday, January 10, 2013

My One Little Word for 2013

I am up on the Noel Mignon blog today with my layout inspired by "lists".  When I saw all of the inspiration Virginia had posted here, I knew what I wanted to do.  Make a layout about my One Little Word and tags for just a few areas of my life.

I have never done a One Little Word before...this is perfect for me.  I love the idea first introduced by Ali Edwards.  I picked TIME because I spend an enormous amount of time working on assignments, writing product lists, writing blog posts, visiting blogs as much as I can.  I love it, but I need to balance MY life better...so I stop and tell myself, now it's time to do something else and drop what I'm doing.  2012 was a whirlwind of a year for me as far as scrapbooking.  Unbelievable when I look back.  It wasn't until December of 2011 I decided to get out in the scrapping community more.  So it was a huge change in my life and lifestyle.

Some of you who have followed me from when we first adopted Emma know this, but Emma requires a lot of one on one time.  No, not any different from any other child.  But I have seen other children run from their parents to play at the park or to friends, play with toys all by themselves.  These things never happened with Emma.  She has gotten so much better.  But as an example...Christmas day...instead of playing with her toys...she wouldn't until we played with her.  It made for a very long day.  We always try to tell her, let us get some work done, and then we will play with you...never happens...until she falls asleep at night...no napping for this girl since she was 2.  Dropping her off at a sitter or having a sitter never was her personality.  To say I'm in need for more "Me" quality time is an understatement.   And the cycle of motherhood guilt has only begun...  I just hope she wants to be around us this much when she is a tween or a teenager!

So...Time...is my word...

The first idea that came to me was to use some kind of tab identifying just a few areas in my life I need to juggle my time better in 2013.  I used this Dragonfly tab from the Silhouette store.
 Then I ungrouped them and deleted the dragonfly and replaced with the words.  I used the Blackout Font 2 a.m. 
I was tempted to do just plain cardstock to cut them out, but I decided to go with color and picked the teal Lawn Fawn paper from the Soda Shoppe kit.  The pattern on the paper was also small and almost tone on tone, so I knew the cut file would show up well.  I loved the perforated look on the tag, so I ripped that part off to show the jagged edge.  I will admit that once I had the cut out files, I wasn't sure of the design I wanted.  I first tried a more carefree look of tilting photos and the tabs.  I used to do that all the time, and love when I see others do it, but linear worked better for me.
I was loving the pops of yellow.  I backed the tabs with pieces of the Basic Grey yellow polka dots, cut the "time" with the Silhouette.  I needed something else yellow to balance it.  I used one of the die cut flowers from the kit and folded in the petals and stapled in the middle.
Just what I needed...clustered it next to the Glitz potty girl sticker.
This layout had a lot of color and a lot going on...so I tried to not add too much, instead I emphasized the design of the vertical lines and the idea behind it.  I cut the 5 from the Dear Lizzy paper, stamped the days of the week along the edge to represent the days of the week (a work week, although I did stamp all 7 days).
I am a very visual person, so I may need to have this one out so I can always be reminded of my OLW for 2013.

Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. what a wonderful look into YOU--GREAT layout, you are doing a FANTASTIC job with a BEAUTIFUL little girl! FUN capture and GREAT layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this layout! adorable pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and awesome layout! Balance is always a struggle for us mommies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the use of the tab! It makes for such a great shape! So many great little details too! Great layout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your page is just gorgeous!
    I love how you used your Silhouette.
    And such a great word that I can relate to :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love how you split the lists down the middle with your photos, and I love pops of yellow. Very clever Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful! i so love how you take the silhouette cut files & make them your own! & what an awesome word! just so you don't feel alone-we're in the same boat with our 8 yr old- she loves our attention still! i try to enjoy it as much as possible since i know we're likely be "chopped liver" soon enough! {{BIG HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome page Patricia!! Love all those tabs and that flower! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this design with the tabs! love the days of the week stamping too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!