Friday, May 24, 2013

October Afternoon Travel Girl and Scraptastic Destination Unknown

I was sooo excited to get an email from October Afternoon that I won the Travel Girl collection.  My love of October Afternoon goes back to when I first started scrapping...they are my favorite.  So I was thrilled.  I couldn't use it yet though because I had a lot of scrapping assignments that needed to be done...but I finally got to play!

And play I did...I had fun with sweet Alex's first challenge over on October Afternoon to use 5 or more pattern papers.  I'm feeling really not creative, have been for a long time...and I know I need to just try something very different.  So I put all self-doubt talk away, and no second guessing, and just had fun.  I love green, so I picked the two green pattern papers, cut them down, and then using a craft knife, I cut slits in the airplane PP so I could tuck the flower PP under it...only adhering it with stitching, so I had lots of little pockets.
Yeah, it was a pretty bold background for even me, but I didn't listen to myself and kept going...but I did not add too much more...only things that would help the eye move around and create visual interest.  I may never scrap like this again, but who knows...but to give you a little tip on helping the photos, especially of Emma, stand out a little more is to use the dark grey pattern paper...black and/or grey always adds that touch of, "look here."
It may not be a top favorite of anyone else's, but I love the creative push and play this gave me, and I had so much fun, so it served it's purpose!
That and this layout, probably took about an hour, maybe a little more, not sure...but I just created, and didn't fuss.  Another part of the not feeling creative..and the push I needed. I have been learning more and more to let go of perfectionism...it really hinders the hobby just being fun, at least for me.  So here is the October Afternoon May 16th sketch:
And here's how I interpreted:
I have been wanting to scrap these photos and so glad I did...the mix of the Travel Girl, Midway, and Woodland Park were perfect.


 
And one more quick layout...I got to play with my Scraptastic Destination Unknown kit.  I really loved the American Crafts anchor paper and lines, as well as the lines from the Elle's studio paper...so I worked those into the design and theme.
Love those Heidi Swapp letters, Chic Tags, and Elle's Studio.
I was about to throw the end piece from American Crafts paper away, but it went with the theme, so adhered it to the bottom.
 I hope to be able to play more like this...I really needed the creative outlet.  I feel like it's given me the boost I needed.
Thanks as always for stopping by and have a great weekend!

Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful layouts! Especially loving that second one, I love the map paper and the little banner pieces and polaroids. Emma's bike is so cute and yay that she participated in the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! You've been busy girl! These are all fabulous! Love all of the bits and pieces and strips of PP on that first page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOH I LOVE all of these!!! A gorgeous feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All amazing pages Patricia!! So glad you are finding the time to do some just for fun layouts!! I have been feeling the same way, and kind of feeling like my layouts need to live up to all of the other designers out there. The challenges help take away some of that stress!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patricia what a great collection. Love all the layout but the top one is my fave. The way you put everything together is divine. Love seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this layout! Awesome detail, and very cute. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on winning those OA goodies--what a great prize! It looks like you had a lot of fun playing. The first one is actually my favorite among these three. I love the pink and green color combo--reminds me of frosted tea cakes and spring party dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to you for your new OA goodies! You did a wonderful job using this line! I love the first one in particular with the strips and the twine run across! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are terrific- I love how you bring in so many elements and make everything look completely cohesive but still very visually compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Patricia....will you stop be so fabulous already! lol! I adore all your work, and I am IN LOVE with the 1st one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous projects, Patricia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful layouts! Love the challenge you took on and ran with it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are amazing. Seriously from where I sit you are never in a scrap slump. Love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog is chock full of awesome inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BEAUTIFULLY inspired pages today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!