Thursday, January 28, 2016

Bible Journaling | RG

There are quite a few improvements to myself that I would like to make this year.  One is to spend time in God's Word, with Him, and being creative doing it.  Bible Journaling has exploded.  I am blown away by so many doing this.  It doesn't matter what style you have, no right or wrong way, clean and simple or messy and all over the place.  It just matters that you are growing in Him.

My daughter asked me the other day, why are you doing this?  Don't you want to be able to 'read' the Bible?  Smart girl.  Thankfully, we live in a culture and the Bible belt where Bibles are plentiful.  I have several in many different versions.  Those are for reading.  I'm not a new believer...I've been a follower of Christ for 38 years!  Between my husband and I, we have quite a collection as well as concordances.  This Bible I use is just for journaling.  We both have special ones from our parents.   When my Mom died suddenly, I flipped through her Bible to see what verses she highlighted that were her favorites.  She had them ALL highlighted.  LOL  How amazing would it be for my daughter to look back on this Bible and not only see my handwriting and messy work, but personal notes and how God spoke to me through those verses.

I hadn't thought of it until the other day, that the new Richard Garay Make Amazing Happen collection would be perfect for journaling.  And I've been so inspired by the Make Amazing team, especially Isha and her mad crazy watercoloring skills, that I had to do some playing.



I start with a thin coat of clear gesso over my pages, regardless if I will use watercolors or paint.  The pages are so thin, this just helps to give the page some strength.



It dries fast, but I always put the heat gun on it to dry a little faster.  It will feel rough when dry.



I want to create a watercolor-y look, so I use distress ink and begin stamping some blooms.  I do have a plastic sheet under for stability to help.



I find that using a brush and cup of water better than using a water pen to start adding watercolors to my images.  I'm using a good amount of water, and the page will be pretty wet, but the plastic underneath helps it from not going onto the other page.  I just move or tap the brush to add more color or water depending on the look I want.



Before I go on, I use the heat gun to dry the wet areas where I worked, (just move the plastic sheet under the page before using heat gun so you don't melt it) then add more stamping.  Next, I add some leaves.



With a smaller brush, I color in some of the spaces of the leaves.



I like this vintage look to this page, so I add some dots of watercolor here and there.  But I go back and add water to each one to make it not look so perfect.



I wanted to bring in another color, and this olive green gelato was perfect.  I colored it along the edges, and then added a little scribble in between flowers.  Then I went back with the water and brush to blend.



Our church is doing a series called 'Restart.'  I have the journal that goes through each day with a verse and message.  I am creating entries for each day to help learn and apply the verses.  I use a black pen to scribble a bracket around the verse, and then jot down some of the ways I can apply this verse to my life.  To add a little modern look to my vintage entry, I used a larger brush dipped in the black watercolor to draw quick horizontal lines.



I went over my journaling a little more in a 'sketchy' look to make it stand out a little more.  I punch a tab for the day of the Restart series, and staple it to the top.



The last thing I added to this page were some black watercolor splatters, and messy black pen doodling around the border of the page.



That entry came out so soft and famine, that I wanted to go onto my next day in the series and use the same stamps but in a very bright, colorful way.  Here, instead of using distress ink, I used Fun Stampers Journey ink which is a dye and a pigment ink.  Amazing and my most favorite inks.  I used the clear gesso again, so my ink will stamp as if I were stamping on a glossy surface, but they dry quickly, and you can use the heat gun to dry even faster.



Much brighter than the previous entry.  After stamping the flowers, I added paint with an old credit card, then went over with a polka dot brayer and yellow paint for another layer.  Next, I stamped my leaves, and added my journaling (which I made a mistake and need to fix LOL).  The last thing I added were those quick horizontal black watercolor strokes.  If you look closely, I actually stamped 'Be Amazing' with grey ink first, thinking I wanted a softer look, but loved the black better.  It gives it a shadow look.  I think 'Be Amazing' is appropriate for this entry about the verse where we are 'fearfully and wonderfully made.'



Hope this inspires you in your own personal faith and how you want to celebrate it, document it, and use the talents you've been given.  I think the Make Amazing Happen collection is perfect for documenting this walk, celebrating your faith and empowering us all to live up to all the blessings intended for us.  Thank you so much for stopping by and letting me share my first Bible entry here on my blog.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!