Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Paper Mache Butterfly | RG

It is Spring, and I hope you are feeling some warmer weather where you are!

The Richard Garay team is busy making pretty things all centered around Spring.  The Make Amazing Happen collection is probably the first collection you think of when creating for Spring.  I decided to alter this paper mache butterfly I picked up in the dollar bin of Target a few weeks ago.



For the longest I left the butterfly as is on my mantle.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to decorate it or leave it plain.  I think one thing I loved about it is that it had raised parts to it.  So when I decided to go ahead and alter it with the Make Amazing Happen collection, I only covered those raised parts.  Here's how I did it.


Using my Fun Stampers Journey crease tool, I made a crease where the edge of each raised part ended.



When I trimmed the creased pieces, I did not trim in the crease, instead I trimmed above the crease, so my cut piece would not be too large to adhere over it.



Once I had one image creased (traced), I used the trimmed piece as a template to do the other side.  Just flip the trimmed piece over (for the mirror image on the opposite side of the butterfly) and trace onto your pattern paper and trim out.  I used the striped paper for my butterfly.  I loved the illusion it gave making it look like the wings are fanning out more.  But if you use striped paper, be sure the trimmed pieces have the stripes all going the same direction.



I used the Fun Stampers Journey adhesive runner instead of liquid glue.  It holds great and is less messy!



For the flower in the center, I used the new Make Amazing Happen steel rule die for that.  I layered two of the same style flowers using cardstock that coordinated with the stripes.  Then used one of the dies from the Amazing Blooms Stamp/Die set for the center flower.  I used foam adhesive to adhere.





To finish off the butterfly, I used the Make Amazing Happen Accent Dots for the center of the flower, and along part of the wings.



I tend to get messy when altering projects like this, but I like this clean, fresh look.  Sometimes the pieces you have to alter don't need to be completely covered.    Sometimes less really is more!



Thanks so much for stopping by.  I'll be sharing a Spring layout next week!

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun piece! I love the striped paper and that big bold flower!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!