Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Envelope Mini Album | RG | Video

Hello!  Hope everyone is enjoying some Spring weather or that you will soon!   I was looking back on the photos from this year so far, and decided to put them into a mini album.

This is not an original idea*  but ever since talking with CHA visitors to the Richard Garay Noteworthy booth about creating a mini album using the envelope die, I had to find a way to do just that.  There's two different types of envelope albums after I did some searching.  One is constructed entirely of envelopes, including the cover.  And then there is this one that is an accordion album, and you create your own cover.



Once I made the first one with photos from this year, I knew my daughter would absolutely love this album, and I thought this is a perfect gift for her teachers for Teacher Appreciation.



Here's a look inside.  Each 'envelope' page is a perfect spot for a photo.  You could also alternate photos with journaling for each page.  



You could also add more embellishing.  I like the feeling of this album in my hand flat though, so I kept this to just the photos.  You can see here that I have more photos tucked inside the pockets of each page.



My photos are printed to 4".  I trimmed them to leave a fourth of an inch border.  The envelope size is 5.25" and my album cover is 5.50".  With bookbinding, of any kind, you usually want to have your cover larger than your pages to protect your inside pages.  I wasn't sure if this project would work because I used the 6x6 paper pads which gave me a little less than a half of an inch to fold the pattern paper over the cardboard cover.  You usually want to have at least an inch or more so that your inside pages will adhere completely on top of the backside of your cover, securing those loose ends.

It worked though.  With the album open, you see the pattern paper from the inside cover rather than the cardboard.



To see how to make these albums, I have a short video to share.  Instead of talking you through it, I have it sped up with music.  Click here for the link to the video as well.





This is the album I assembled in the video.  Both of the albums using the Make Amazing Happen pattern papers will be for my daughter's teachers.





And for our mini album,  I used the Noteworthy pattern paper, stamp, and 2" square die,  Lumberjack Days leaf die and twine, and the Make Amazing Happen dots.  For the leaf die, I also die cut with white foam to adhere the black cardstock leaves to it before adhering to the cover.  It helped it pop a little bit more and add some dimension.



A little tip.  My albums have six envelopes, creating six pages.  I found that creating an even number of envelopes for my pages helped to do the accordion fold so that each envelope pocket can be used on the front, leaving just the back with more areas to add more photos or journaling, but no pockets.  So add as many 'envelope' pages as you want.



You can flip through the album like a typical mini album, but having the accordion, you can also stretch it out.



I mentioned that I knew my daughter would love this album, and she did.  So much so that she joined me in the scrap room to make hers.  She picked a glitter paper for her cover, and then picked the photos she wanted to add.  I wanted to share hers because she came up with a great idea of how she set up her album.  Each of the six pages/pockets are categories.  Family/friends, her, and our cat Archie.  No telling what the other categories will be, but I do know one she wants for vacation photos.  A girl after my own heart.


Thank you for taking the time to stop by and watch the video.  I had so much fun putting these albums together and looking forward to making more!

Supplies used:
Noteworthy Collection (Envelope Die, Cards Die Set, Noteworthy Stamp Set,  6x6 prints)
Make Amazing Happen Collection (6x6 prints, Amazing Dots)
Lumberjack Days Collection (Branch Out Die Set,  Twine)

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful mini albums!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful! I love the prints you chose for them, and that they open accordion style, what a special gift they make!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to leave me a comment...hope you have a wonderful day!